The approval management allows user to use an effective licensing concept for modelling process. In this way, you can determine which changes require approval in the model and who is responsible for the approval of these changes. There are two types of approval management available for user: Native (build-in) and SharePoint.
Managing approval management in the database settings
Activating the approval management
Approval management can be activated (or deactivated) in the database settings by changing the kind of approval management in the drop-down list. User from the “Administrators” group is able to activate or deactivate approval management (see Permissions). When the approval management is active, the button Approve is colored.
To configure the approval management, the following options are available:
In the “Draft Status” section (on the right) up to 6 draft statuses can be defined. The number of draft statuses can be selected from the drop-down list under “Number of the draft statuses”.
Names of all approval, deletion or draft statuses can be changed and draft statuses have individually adjustable colors. Corresponding draft status color is displayed on the diagram icon in the repository. If the diagram is approved or has no approval status it will be displayed without the color mark.
- The change of the date for the approval status is defined
When the checkbox next to this option is marked, new property “modification date” of the approval status is added to the property group approval management. The date of the last modification of the approval status can be set to Automatic or Manual.
- Add property “Approval or deletion date” in the object’s properties to store automatically the last performed action.
When the checkbox next to this option is marked, new property “Approval or deletion” is added to the property group approval management. This property shows the date of the last approval or deletion date of the corresponding object.
- Enable the expiry of your approvals. With default expiry date
When the checkbox next to this option is marked, new property “expiry date of approval” is added to the property group. This property allows user to define the expiration date of the approval status of the diagram. The diagram remains approved up to the specified date. After that date, the status changes to the “expired approval”.
- Enable the comment field in the approval dialogue.
When the checkbox of this option is marked, additional field for approval comment will be added. This field may be left blank.
- Enable the creation of new version snapshots only if all approval management statuses have been set to “approved”.
When the checkbox of this option is marked, the creation of new database versions is forbidden if there are unapproved diagrams.
- Allow on a per diagram selection basis to retain once approved diagrams in the WebPublisher.
When the checkbox of this option is marked, new property “keep old if not approved” is added to the diagram properties for which the approval management is enabled. By activating this property, previously approved diagram will be kept in the web publication if the status of the diagram has changed since the last publication to a non-approved.
Dialogue box for the award or modification of the approvalstatus
Awarding an approval status
The approval status can be assigned when new or existing modified diagram is saved. In addition, it is possible to assign approval status manually through the context menu (right click on the diagram icon in the repository and choose “Change the approval status”).
Approving the diagram
To start approval procedure, start Approval wizard by clicking the button “Approve” or right clicking on the diagram icon in the repository and choosing “Approve” from the context-menu. Before starting the Approval wizard, all open diagrams in the modeler will be closed.
In the first case user is able to choose on the tree which diagrams should be approved. Special properties allow sorting diagrams by class, or show only diagrams based on a specific template, or with specified approval status.
If the diagram opened by another user, this diagram will be locked for approval wizard and it will have gray icon with small lock on it.
After that, user needs to select options for approval by ticking corresponding boxes:
- Refresh the database before approving
- Create the approval history
- Generate the diagram for the EPS. This option has to be activated in the Database settings on the EPS tab by ticking the box next to the “Activate the usage of the Enterprise Portal Server. The EPS is our dynamic WebPortal application that can make use of SharePoint document libraries.” Otherwise, this option is deactivated.
- Store a comment. This option allows user to create a comment in the approval dialog. It is possible to create a comment in English, German and French languages by pressing ”T” button. This option has to be activated in the Database settings on the Approvals tab.
- Set the date to. This option shows the modification date and time. If in the Approvals settings “The change date for the approval status” is defined as Automatic this option is deactivated. When this setting defined as Manual user has to set the date of last modification manually.
- Set the approval expiry date to. This option allows user to define the date when the approval status will expire. Option needs to be activated in the Database settings on the Approvals tab.
It is important to note that to change (e.g.link to some objects) approved diagrams that have been deleted, the deletion operation has to be canceled or approval status has to be set up. Otherwise, no changes of the diagram will be saved and diagram will remain deleted.
When user approves deleted diagram, it will be deleted from the modeler and database and all additional objects such as diagram links will be deleted too.
In case when user export data of the approved diagram to the Exel, changes some properties of this diagram in the Exel file and import it to the modeler through the ImportExportManager this diagram become unapproved.
Diagram based approval
In 7.0.4. Release-build of modeler two types of Native Approval management are available: full and light mode. If a User don’t want to remove approval status when object changed in the Repository then Diagram based approval (“light mode”) can be turned on. So all changes on diagram will make diagram unapproved (it status automatically will be set to “Work in progress”).
Changes of the objects in the Repository would not affect on approval status of the diagram.
Only renaming diagram, changing diagram property value, linking diagram to an object or to a file and uploading file to diagram will raise Approval status dialog window but won’t make it unapproved.
Diagram based approval:
Database based approval:
* changed means e.g.: name change, new object link is created, new link to a diagram created, some other property is changed