In this article you will find the necessary steps to perform an upgrade of an existing process4.biz installation from version 6.x to 7.x and higher.
A database and the clients accessing it must always have the same release stand.
If you upgrade one of your clients and this requires upgrading the database too (= DBUpgrade), then all other clients must be switched to this higher version too in order to be able to continue to have access to the database.
Please make sure that used p4b attributes are operated via “This.DBName” in order for formulas and conditions of older releases to continue to work after the upgrade. (see Property Type: Formula).
To install a newer release build, the installed version of process4.biz must be uninstalled first.
Uninstalling is quick and easy via the Windows Control Panel, under the Programs and Features section.
All databases, diagrams, stencils, and templates created, as well as already configured connection profiles with DBConfig are preserved by uninstalling.
After you have successfully completed uninstalling the previously used process4.biz, the current version can be installed. This installation runs basically like a reinstall as described in detail in the article for the installation procedure.
If you work with the server license, you should take into account that during an upgrade of an existing installation, the server license service must be raised to the appropriate release as well.
As in the case of the client, the installed server license service must first be uninstalled and then reinstalled with the current version.
The DBUpgrade or the database update wizard is launched automatically, when you first log into a database from a previous version. Alternatively, this wizard can also be opened manually via the file “DbUpgrade.exe” from the installation directory (by default “C:\Programs\process4biz\DBUpgrade”).
Perform the DBUpgrade
- Select the database for which an upgrade is to be performed
Enter the process4.biz admin and the password for this databaseHere an NT authentication cannot be used.
- Select the release build of the database selected previously, and the build on which the upgrade is to be performed (automatically filled by DBUpgrade)
- Activate the appropriate option if you want to make a backup copy of the old database
- Clicking on Next launches the desired DBUpgrade
- After successfully upgrading the database, a message may appear stating that the diagrams must be updated too. The Wizard to update the diagrams can be launched directly from the warning message.
After a version upgrade, a new license key may be needed.